ABC News 26 November 2015
An environmental scientist says Queensland’s ongoing dry weather is contributing to blue-green algae blooms, like the ones Fraser Coast residents are dodging on local beaches.
The state’s waterways, dams and beaches have seen multiple outbreaks of blue-green algae, which can cause allergic reactions such as skin and eye irritation.
Around Hervey Bay, the Fraser Coast Council is warning people to avoid the algae washed up on beaches because of the potential health risks.
ABC News Frances Adcock 23 November 2015
The Fraser Coast Mayor says the southern Queensland council will attempt to remove toxic blue-green algae that has washed up on the region’s beaches.
ABC News Laura Beavis 23 October 2015
The need to develop faster tests to detect and monitor toxin-producing algal blooms has topped the agenda at a shellfish industry conference in St Helens on Tasmania’s east coast.
The Shellfish Futures conference coincided with an outbreak of algae that is disrupting shellfish production in the region.
Currently, to confirm the presence of toxins in shellfish, growers must send samples to a laboratory in Sydney, a process which can take up to 10 days and costs more than $800 per test.
ABC News 6 October 2015
Two people have been hospitalised in Tasmania with paralytic shellfish poisoning after eating mussels they harvested from east coast areas affected by algal blooms.
A third person has also been treated.
All three became unwell after eating mussels from an area subject to a public health warning issued last week.
The Public Health department has advised against collecting or eating wild oysters, mussels, clams, pipis, scallops, abalone, rock lobster or crab from anywhere along the east coast.
ABC News 2 October 2015
Tasmania’s Health Department is warning people not to collect or eat wild shellfish from the state’s east coast because of high toxin levels.
An extensive area of the east coast is affected by naturally occurring algal blooms.
Acting director of public health Doctor Mark Veitch said eating wild shellfish from the affected area could cause paralytic shellfish poisoning from toxins produced by algae.
Read more http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-10-02/high-toxins-in-tasmanias-wild-east-coast-shellfish2c-collec/6823558