Category Archives: Occupational health & safety

Laboratory safety | Relevant workplace accidents/incidents including those where fatal injuries and investigations occur.

Probe in to power death

Townsville Bulletin SAMANTHA HEALY November 06, 2015

A CORONER will investigate the circumstances surrounding the electrocution and death of a man in Townsville almost six years ago.
Gold Coast man Danny George Cheney, 31, and a colleague, were electrocuted in a tragic workplace accident on a private property at Kelso on December 5, 2009.
Mr Cheney, and the 32-year-old Filipino national who lived at Garbutt, were employed by John Holland Group and were contracted to work on Powerlink lines at the time of the incident.
They were working in a cherry-picker when it came into contact with the 132,000-volt lines.

Read more:

Gold Coast Convention Centre cleaner falls 20m to death November 5, 2015

A MAN has plunged to his death at the Gold Coast Convention and Exhibition Centre.
The man is believed to have been performing cleaning duties when he fell more than 20m inside the Broadbeach facility.
Bystanders performed CPR but he was unable to be revived when paramedics arrived on the scene.

Read more:

One dead in Gold Coast industrial fire

Brisbane Times Kristian Silva and AAP November 5, 2015

A man has died in an industrial fire at an oil processing plant north of the Gold Coast, police say.
The fire broke out at the facility on Sandy Creek Road in the suburb of Yatala on Thursday morning.
Police said a truck was dumping material near an open air container when an explosion occurred about 8.15am.

Read more:

Snorkeller had bad heart before Qld death

9News AAP October 29, 2015

A man who drowned while snorkelling in shallow water on the Great Barrier Reef had underlying heart conditions, an inquest was told.
British grandfather Eric Finlayson died at Michaelmas Cay, off Cairns, during a trip with tour operator Voyager Australia in 2012.
An inquest into his death has heard an autopsy revealed the 68-year-old suffered from an enlarged heart and narrowed arteries.
But forensic pathologist Dr Max Stewart said he couldn’t be sure if the conditions played a part in his death.
He told a coronial inquest in Cairns on Thursday that Mr Finlayson eventually died from drowning due to foam in the airways.
Coroner Kevin Priestly has heard witnesses say Mr Finlayson died in little over a metre of water.

Read more:

ABC News report

Two Queensland workplace deaths investigated

Brisbane Times AAP October 28, 2015

The deaths of two workers in central and north Queensland are being investigated by Workplace Health and Safety Queensland.
An 83-year-old year old man was trapped in his 4WD after it rolled into a gully and caught alight during a controlled-vegetation burn at Mona Park south of Townsville on Tuesday morning.
The man had burns to his legs and was pronounced dead at the scene.
Later on Tuesday, a male worker, believed to be 31, suffered serious head injuries when a kiln exploded at a Gladstone factory, throwing him against a steel container.
He later died in hospital.

Read at source:


Inquest finds Mount Isa construction firm worker died from carbon monoxide poisoning

ABC News Renee Cluff 23 October 2015

A Mount Isa steel and construction company cleared over the death of an employee has been referred to Safe Work Queensland for further investigation, after a coronial inquest.
Coroner Alan Comans today handed down his findings into the 2011 death of Steelcon Cava worker Kingsley Rex Wade.
He ruled the 51 year old died from carbon monoxide poisoning caused by breathing in air from a faulty compressor attached to an enclosed helmet he was wearing during sandblasting.

Read more


Coroner adjourns inquest into death of apprentice electrician Dale Kennedy in Cairns

ABC News Renee Cluff 8 October 2015

A coronial inquest into the death of an apprentice electrician in Cairns three years ago has been adjourned to allow two separate electrical audits to be carried out.
Dale Kennedy, 20, was installing security sensors in a ceiling at Bentley Park College in 2012 when he was electrocuted.

Read more