Tag Archives: Salmonella

Harmful bacteria can survive in sandwich crackers, cookies for months, UGA study finds

(University of Georgia 22 December 2015) Researchers at the University of Georgia found that pathogens, like salmonella, can survive for at least six months in cookies and crackers. The recent study was prompted by an increased number of outbreaks of food-borne diseases linked to low-water-activity, or dry, foods.

Read EurekAlert Summary

Request the source article from Information & Research Services (QH Staff only)

 

Queensland Health debunks food safety myths

news.com.au 19 November 2015

Food poisoning will strike about 1.4 million Australiansthis year, with poor food handling the prime cause of the misery.

And authorities say better food safety knowledge among Australian could drive those figures right down.

Australian Food Safety Week was held this month as national health authorities redoubled their efforts to debunk myths surrounding food safety and educate the wider community about foodborne diseases, including salmonella and campylobacter poisoning.

Sophie Dwyer, Health Protection Branch executive director at Queensland Health, said one of the first big myths people had was that food poisoning was no big deal.

http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/health/health-problems/queensland-health-debunks-food-safety-myths/news-story/e8049e428c9d9e9de23c4d6114123ecf

Kitchen blender was in the sick mix

Courier Mail Rose Brennan 2 November 2015 p. 5

A kitchen sink blender contaminated with salmonella was the source of a mass food poisoning outbreak at a Brisbane Convention and Exhibition Centre event when school principals fell ill.  Documents obtained by the Courier Mail show that investigators examining the outbreak found bacteria on several kitchen utensils, with that bacteria “incubated” during the cooking process.

Request a copy of the article (QH Staff only)

South Australians warned of salmonella risk from meat cooked on spits

ABC News 25 October 2015

The South Australian Government warns people to take care when using home rotisseries or spits after they are linked to more than 20 people falling ill last financial year.   Health Minister Jack Snelling said SA Health investigations identified home cooked pig and lamb on the spit as the main causes of salmonella outbreaks at two separate home gatherings in 2014-15.

Read more

Company fined over salmonella outbreak on Melbourne Cup day

The Courier Mail 21 October 2015

A COMPANY at the centre of a massive Melbourne Cup Day salmonella outbreak has been found guilty of failing in food safety standards, a court has heard.

It comes as the partner of a woman who died after contracting the virus during the outbreak has called for raw eggs to be “declared a hazardous substance.”

The Brisbane Magistrates Court yesterday heard the infection was contained in one or some of the 20 raw eggs used to make five batches of mayonnaise.

The condiment was then used as a potato salad dressing, which was then sold to 14 separate Melbourne Cup Day functions in southeast Queensland, including one for the Department of the Premier and Cabinet.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/queensland/company-fined-over-salmonella-outbreak-on-melbourne-cup-day/story-fnihsrf2-1227576556121

Salmonella outbreak at Brisbane’s South Bank Surf Club being investigated

News.com.au Peter Hall October 9, 2015

HEALTH authorities are investigating a salmonella outbreak at a Brisbane seafood restaurant.
The South Bank Surf Club was inspected after complaints from diners who had confirmed cases of food poisoning.
Restaurant management told The Courier-Mail that Queensland Health and Brisbane City Council had contacted the business after several sick people came forward.
The manager said the cause had been identified as “a bad batch of eggs’’ provided by a supplier. They said the eggs had been used in sauces served with seafood platters.

Read more: http://www.news.com.au/national/queensland/salmonella-outbreak-at-brisbanes-south-bank-surf-club-being-investigated/story-fnii5v6w-1227562497564

 

Dirty food mixer responsible for salmonella outbreak at Burnside Hospital, SA Health issues warning

ABC News 28 September 2015

A dirty kitchen appliance used to blend and puree food has been blamed as the source of a salmonella outbreak at the Burnside War Memorial Hospital in Adelaide’s eastern suburbs.

www.abc.net.au/news/2015-09-28/salmonella-outbreak-blamed-on-stab-mixer/6809610